Thursday 10 March 2011

......But not as you know it

Firstly, to those of you who have stopped by hoping to read all about the amazing large sandstone rock formation in central Australia, turn away now. This is not Ayers Rock, This is Ayres Rocks. The name was cleverly conjured up over a Tiandi meal & a glass of wine by my 2 Cornish bessie mates -Thedaytodavis and MaidinCornwall......thank you ladies xx Ayres (That's me, Mrs to be precise) and Rocks (a little acknowledgment to my love of music, the influence its had on me and in fact continues to do so).

In a nutshell, I lived in a small rural village of Hertfordshire for 30 years. I attended, and positively enjoyed the local primary school and from there continued my education at an all girls school in the market town of Hitchin. After my A levels, I dabbled in broadcasting on hospital and local radio and spent the summer of 1996 in a hideous striped uniform entertaining the masses in Mablethorpe, Lincs at a Haven Holiday Park (so many stories, so little time.) I returned back to my sleepy village and set up home with my adorable dog Toby (gone but not forgotten old pal), and really was jack of all trades for a few years, master of none.

Having spotted a handsome young man one day down the local during a celebration on St Georges Day, and hearing on the grapevine that he was a very skilled carpenter, I went home scouring my old rickety cottage looking for some "jobs" that needed doing. I eventually plucked up the courage and called him asking if he would be able to mend a wobbly table leg and put up a shelf. Very cringe worthy - cant believe that was the best I could come up with. And the rest as they say, really is history. We had our first son together nearly 7 years ago (Jamie) and relocated to North Cornwall in 2008. Having only been in my new county for approximately 3 weeks (and spending most of that in Bassett ward of North Devon hospital,) I gave birth to Stanley who is nearly 3, my family now complete.

Not satisfied with the challenge of finding my feet in a new area, with a new baby and helping my son settle into his new school, I still felt I had more to give. So I decided to launch my own business, The Music Train, running music classes for parents/grandparents to bring their babies/toddlers/preschoolers along for 45 minutes of, Id like to think, good times. Starting with only a handful of people, this has now grown to 6 classes a week with 75 families in attendance plus the launch of after school clubs for foundation and key stage 1 children. All in just under two years. I truly now feel that I am no longer Jack (of all trades), and that I have found my vocation. There is nothing more rewarding than watching children sing, smile, giggle & learn and in turn, witness the joy and pride expressed in their grownups face as they share in a special time together. Magical.

That said, sadly for me, the next chapter of my life will soon see me and mine returning to the mother land. Whilst I cant bring my Cornish 'Music Trainers' with me, I will be able to set up and teach in a new area of Hertfordshire once the boys are settled and all but Stanley, will be able to tap into their roots once again. Other special things I will be leaving behind are dear friends, dramatic coastal scenery, a fantastic school & pre-school, all the special little people that are now held in high regard in the minds and hearts of my boys and a beautifully renovated cornish stone cottage. So anyone reading this will be climbing aboard and riding this roller coaster of a journey with me - Sit back, hold tight, here.....we.......gooooooo.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic Mrs Ayres, looking forward to reading it daily!! See wasn't that hard was it??!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ayres Rock" Brillant!! Still sad to see you go We'll all miss you ! Keep in touch with us cornish music train go'ers! Hope all goes well up country. I'm sure it wont be long before your class's are full again :)
    C&O x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helluva good 'Ayley! You're a bloomin marvel. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't begin to tell you how sad we are to see you go!!! Best of luck, look forward to seeing what you've been up to xxxx

    ReplyDelete