Wednesday 16 March 2011

The word of the day is......

CLOSED

It was always going to be a bit of a rushy day what with the extra mileage from North Devon to Jacobstow which is where I am currently teaching my afterschool club to 18 enthusiastic, vocal and vibrant reception and year 1 students. But I wanted to make the most of the morning off with Stanners and had arranged some time ago to meet with Stacey and her boys who I just dont get the chance to see often enough.

Stacey's was the first face I saw when we relocated to the South West as she and I both had the misfortune of spending way too much time in the maternity unit of the North Devon Hospital (Barnstaple). For around 10 days we were residents in the bed opposite one another and we spent the time moaning, comparing notes, turning our noses up at the food, sharing chocolate, comparing blood pressure results and medication, but most importantly, forging the start of a very close friendship. It turned out we were induced on the same morning and Stanley and Ben were welcomed to the world only 6 hours apart, and they too are great buddies.

We had planned to go to the Gnome Reserve as Stacey had often commented on the photos she had seen of mine from previous visits where members of my family, both adults and chilren alike looked very colourful and it has to be said, a tad daft in gnome hats, and she was keen to join the club. On the warmest morning of the year so far, we trundled over, only to be met with a big, fat CLOSED sign. So not to be detered, we thought we'd go to the tamar lakes for a walk and a play in the park, and a spot of lunch in the cafe. The play in the park bit was good, but the cafe was CLOSED. Never mind I said, lets go to the Pizza Ape cafe/takeaway in my village, that would be just perfect for the boys, but you've guessed it, it was CLOSED! So we got some pasties and drinks from the local shop and went and sat in my local play park in the gorgeous sunshine, under blue skies and watched two very happy boys giggling, running, chatting and throwing sausage rolls (the latter was of course Staney). An added bonus was that some of my other good friends from the village happened to stop by after the pre-school pickup and it was lovely to see the children all mucking in together. Such a lovely bunch of little peeps.

I dont mind admitting that with the sun out and spending time with friends, I was a bit less enthusiastic to get off to work, but as always with Music Train, the minute I hear the voices of the children outside, the air of anticipation in their tone, and then seeing their little faces, the look of pride when they show me what they have brought in from home, something completely takes over. My job has to be one of the most enjoyable in the world, ever ever ever. I love waiting for their responses to my questions and the fact that they are learning so much whilst having fun. The way music is presented down here definitely has some catching up to do and it does get somewhat overlooked which is a shame, but I am just hopeful that for the 18 months Ive been teaching it, I might have inspired or unlocked something in the children, and perhaps even some of the adults. One mum after we had done the Strings topic said that she was going to get her old cello out of the loft, and another has said as a direct result of Music Train, she has had her piano tuned and sits and plays it with her son, so that is job done. 
  

1 comment:

  1. Music Train and you have inspired so many people to enjoy music from a very early age, it is such a shame that we are losing you and Tuneful Ted. Lets hope that from the enthusiasm you have generated, we will see much more music being offered to our children and future families. Here's to hoping x

    ReplyDelete