Thursday 24 March 2011

Curtains

Theatre has always been a huge part of my life. My nan and my great uncle used to take me every year to see The Nutcracker Ballet in London which was a real treat as a young child and those memories I still hold very dear to my heart especially as neither are longer with me now. They also used to arrange the annual Christmas pantomime for us which became a ritual where around ten family members descended upon our then local theatre for fun and frolics. We were always the loudest row with group participation which used to thrill me immensely. I wanted theatre to be a large influence on the boys' childhood too and I have been very fortunate that my brother has chosen his career path in this area and he has been a huge inspiration to them both.

Since the move down to Cornwall, I haven't been to as many theatre productions, partly due to travelling distances, but also there just hasn't been the huge selection of shows to see that there is in and around London and the home counties that I'm used to. Lara and I took our eldest sons to see Goodnight Mr Tom a few weeks ago at the Theatre Royal, Plymouth which was a very moving and thought provoking production. It is a book written by Michelle Magorian that I remember enjoying when I was at primary school and I was equally as moved when John Thaw played the lead role in the television dramatisation a few years ago. A tale of two broken souls at very different ends of the age scale, celebrating the value of love and proves that friendship knows no barriers http://www.goodnightmistertom.co.uk/  Highly recommended if the tour comes to a theatre near you.

Nothing much since then has tickled my fancy locally however there are two future performances which have caught my eye and very annoyingly, if all goes to plan, I shall no longer be a Cornish resident by then to enjoy them. Paul Zerdin is at the Landmark Theatre on Monday 22nd August 8.15. I have seen him perform before and he is a hugely talented and hilarious ventriloquist, not to mention in my opinion very easy on the eye (!) and is well worth a watch. If it is anything like the last show of his I saw, your sides will be aching from all the laughter, so this is an absolute must see.

Kisses on a postcard is also showing locally at Queens Theatre on Friday 23rd - Sunday 25th September and then again Friday 30th Sept-Sunday 2nd Oct. Similarly to Goodnight Mr Tom it is a tale of wartime childhood but this is a true story of one ordinary boy and his brother, packed off to a small west country village from war torn London. The production features popular music from WW2, hymns, children's and folk songs and I would have definitely booked tickets for Jamie and I had we still been about.

On a completely different note altogether, people are obviously reading this blog as I have had quite a few messages over the last few days congratulating me on my twenty four mile run. Sadly I have to confess that the font I have chosen to use on this blog does not clearly show punctuation marks. It is not very good with    :-)   !!!!  or seemingly .      I only managed to run two point four miles which for me is still quite an achievement but alas not the 24 as it would appear - I am saving those types of distances to the dynamic Davis who incidentally is running the London Marathon next month in aid of the NSPCC. For anyone wishing to donate I know she would be delighted with any spare pennies you may have http://www.justgiving.com/thedaytodavis

Thought of the day :- Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to get it

No comments:

Post a Comment